A cassette or freewheel is a mechanism for mounting gears on a bike. A cassette mounts to the rear wheel and holds between 7 and 11 cogs or sprockets. These cogs or sprockets are what mesh with the chain to drive the bike. A freewheel mounts to the front wheel and holds between 1 and 3 cogs or sprockets. These cogs or sprockets are what mesh with the chain to drive the bike.
Our Top Picks At A Glance
Here is a quick recap of our top 10 picks that lets you compare each item with another and allow you to choose the best one.
10 Best Bike Cassettes & Freewheels People Love In 2022: In Depth Features
- This Kit combination chain whip, upgrade freewheel/lockring remover wrench and and auxiliary wrench. All are in high quality, heat treated to prevent bending and flexing
- Designed to be used in conjunction with the cassette lock ring tool to remove cassettes from hubs. Sprocket Remover can also be used to tighten on screw-on freewheels. Caters for7, 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes
- When remove flywheel, fixed wheel to prevent from damage. Silver color chain whip with orange non-slip coated handle for comfort and ease of use. It is constructed from steel for durability
- Freewheels Remover fits for any brand 12 teeth splined type freewheels cassette lockrings
- Cassette / Rotor Lockring Removal Tool Fits Shimano, SRAM, SunRace, SunTour, Chris King and other cassette lockrings. Also fits Shimano disc brake lockrings, stabilizes tool
- Great Material: Our bike tools made by whole casting with premium stainless steel which is sturdy durable and not easy to bend, the grip coated by rubber for comfortable and anti-slip handling, very suitable for Bicycle repair.
- Designed to be used in conjunction with the cassette lock ring tool to remove cassettes from hubs. Sprocket Remover can also be used to tighten on screw-on freewheels. Caters for 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes.
- Cassette removal tool universal for most of brands bicycles such as Campagnolo Shimano SRAM 7,8,9,10,11,12 speed cassette freewheel only, not suitable for bicycle tourney freewheel,rotating flywheel.
- Sprocket remover can also be used to tighten on screw-on freewheels.
- Tool Kit Including: bike whip chain tool, Auxiliary Wrench,2 pcs Bicycle Cassette Lock Ring.
- Durable material: the bike cassette lockring tool is made of quality carbon steel material, which adopts quenching process to make it sturdy and durable that can be applied for a long time
- Suitable size: the mountain bike cassette removal tool is suitable for 12-spline tool with diameter of 23.4mm, lightweight and portable to carry and store, taking up less space
- Convenient to use: these bike freewheel remover tools are easy and convenient for people to use, it allows you to use without removal of cones and locknut, and it can be applied to tighten on screw-on freewheels
- Basic and important part: being the part of freewheel and bottom bracket removal tools, the cassette lockring remover is basic and significant for you, helping you repair the bike quickly and effectively
- Scope of application: the bike freewheel remover repair lockring tool is suitable for 12 teeth type freewheels cassette lockrings of most brands, and also fit for other 5-10 speed freewheels
- COMPATIBILITY: This tool is used to install/remove the freewheels with 12-spline, 22.8mm tool fittings including Shimano, Sachs Aris, SunRace, DNP Epoch and other freewheels and Cassette Lockring. Freewheel axle maximum 13mm.
- EASY TO USE: It features one-inch hexagonal base to use with wrench or socket. Its thin wall design makes the job easier without removal of the locknuts and cones.
- BUILT TO LAST: Made of high-quality heat-treated steel for improved durability and longer service life.
- SPECS: Spline: 12 splines. Outer Diameter: 22.8mm. Hole Use with 24mm wrench. Weight: 31g=0.06lbs.
- ORDER NOW, WORRY FREE! We're so confident about our product quality that we can provide a 2-year warranty! Made in Taiwan.
- Fits freewheels with 12-spline, 22.6mm tool fittings including Shimano, Sachs Aris, SunRace, DNP Epoch and other 5–10 speed freewheels
- Features enlarged 15mm pass-thru hole to accommodate 14mm solid axles
- Thin wall construction allows use without removal of cones and locknuts
- One inch hexagonal base fits wrench, socket or bench vise
- Heat treated alloy tool steel
- 7speeds with largest climbing gear, 11-13-15-18-21-24-34 teeth
- DNP Electric bike 7 Speed freewheel, fits motorized freewheel hub and standard threaded freewheel hub.Remove with DNP freewheel removal tool, 12 splines, 22.6mm outer diameter.
- 34T biggest sprocket, improve significantly climbing ability. Compatible with e-bike conversion, fat bike, cargo bike, city bike, commuting bike.
- Total height: 37.1mm+/-0.1mm, Weight:520g+/-1g.Hub thread type B1.37’’×24tpi, hub offset should not less than 37mm.
- Made of Chromoly Steel, Nickel plated finishing.Designed for E-bike, ratchet mechanism is high strength and durable, able to bear the massive torque generated from the electric motor.
- This bike repair tool kit combination chain whip and upgrade freewheel/lockring remover wrench. Both are in high quality, heat treated to prevent bending and flexing
- Designed to be used in conjunction with the cassette lock ring tool to remove cassettes from hubs. Sprocket Remover can also be used to tighten on screw-on freewheels, Caters for 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes
- When remove flywheel, fixed wheel to prevent from damage.Constructed from steel for durability. Easy and convenient to operate
- Silver color chain whip with orange non-slip coated handle for comfort and ease of use. It is constructed from steel for durability
- Cassette/rotor lockring removal tool is made of heat treated alloy tool steel, fits for any brand 12 teeth splined type freewheels, like Shimano, Sachs Aris, Sun Race, SRAM, SunTour, Chris King and other cassette lockrings. Also fits Shimano disc brake lockrings and so on
- COMPATIBILITY: Compatible with Shimano type free wheel - easily to be removed or installed by freewheel tool. Inner diameter 34mm.
- Choices: Chain compatibility: 1/2"x3/32" . Teeth: 18.
- QUALITY: Made of high quality hardened steel. Tough and long lasting.Weight: 171g=0.37lbs
- BEARINGS: Quality ball bearings which rolls smoothly.
- ORDER NOW, WORRY FREE! We're so confident about our product quality that we can provide 1-year warranty! Made in Taiwan.
- 🚲【Multi-Function Bike Repair Tool Kits】The bicycle tools include 1* Cassette Removal Tool with Chain Whip, 1* Crank Puller Extractor, 1* Bike Chain Breaker, 1* Freewheel Remover Tool, 1* Bottom Bracket Remover, 1* Spoke Wrench and 1* Product Instructions. Fit for most brand type bike bottom bracket. With all necessary bike repair tools, it is a must-have crank removal tool for outdoor riding.
- 🚲【3-in-1 Cassette Remover Wrench】3-in-1 functionality Chin whip sprocket wrench, hook style lock ring tool, and bottom bracket assembly tool in on, it can be used to fix the dental plate of the bicycle, install and remove the bottom bracket and cassette of the bicycle. 3-in-1 cassette remover wrench can replace three independent tools, not only save your toolbox space and carry more convenient, but also save money. Suitable for 7,8,9,10,11,12 speed cassette freewheel only.
- 🚲【Crank Puller Extractor】Universal bike crank puller, extended ejector for removing chain-rings and crank. Bike Crank Extractor is made of high-strength steel, it is very sturdy and durable. Also, it will not damage the BB teeth. Suitable for any 20 teeth splined type bottom bracket and Standard Square Tapered crank sets.
- 🚲【Bike Chain Breaker】Double driving pin for easy chain breaking, chain breaker is specifically designed to remove and install pins bicycle chains. Fits for common bicycle chains of 5-10 speed. It's suitable for most of bicycles.
- 🚲【Bottom Bracket Tool】The remover is used to remove bike bottom bracket, it's suitable for any 20 teeth spline type bike bottom bracket. Hollow crank cover tool is used to remove and install of hollowtech II chain sets and bottom brackets. High strength steel construction is very durable, tool can be used with socket, wrench or adjustable spanner.
- 【Cassette Removal Set】: When a cassette starts to wear out, you'll notice shifting and performance problems. If you need to remove your cassette to clean it or replace it, you'll need the proper cassette removal tool. The CYCLISTS cassette removal tool set is the best choice.
- 【Compatibility】: Fits all Shimano and SRAM or other compatible cassettes including road bike and mountain bike cassettes.7,8,9,10 and 11 speed.
- 【Ease to Use】: Chain whip and lock ring tool remover set for holding cassettes and Freehubs when removing the locking, the tool set features a long handle with a grip which offers ample leverage to remove your lockring. Chain whip tool length: 11.4 inches, Lockring tool length: 11.5 inches.
- 【Durability】: CYCLISTS Cassette Removal tools are made of hardened quality steel and equipped with ergonomic non-slip, rubber crank handle. These properties allow you to bring full power on the tool. This cassette removal tool disassembles every Shimano cassette or freewheel effortlessly.
- 【100% Money Back Guarantee】: Made in Taiwan. Major in cycling accessories more than 10 years, we know a lot about cycling products. We truly want you to be happy with our Cassette Removal Set and our professional customer service will do whatever it takes to ensure your satisfaction we are offering a 6-month guarantee.
What To Look For Choosing The Best Bike Cassettes & Freewheels
Take the following considerations into account to choose the best bike cassettes & freewheels that meets your needs.
There is no one-size-fits-all buying guide for bike cassettes & freewheels, as the best choice depends on individual needs and preferences. However, some tips on which Cassette & Freewheel products to look for include choosing a quality product made by a reputable company, having a variety of options for fit and style, and being affordable.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
Are Freewheels And Cassettes Interchangeable?
Yes, freewheels and cassettes are interchangeable.
Are Cassettes Or Freewheels Better?
Cassettes or freewheels are better because they are both an audio cassette and a flaxcard sized record.
What Is Difference Between Cassette And Freewheel?
Cassegrain microscope – a camera that looks through the lens of a digital camera to image inside matter on an arm or micromirror screen to create images.
Does My Bike Have A Cassette Or Freewheel?
doesn’t have a cassette or freewheel
There is no one perfect bike cassette or freewheel out there, because there are many different types ofos bikes. What works best on your type of bike may be the same for all bikes. That said, we’ve listings some of the best bike cassettes & freewheels so you can choose the one that fits your needs.